Affiliate disclosure: Automoblog and its partners may be compensated when you purchase the products below.
When it comes to auto transporters, few companies have the clout that AmeriFreight has. On the internet, AmeriFreight reviews consistently applaud the company’s customer service, affordability, and range of services. That fact is, in part, why it earned a place in our ranking of the best car shipping companies in the country.
In this AmeriFreight review, we take a close look at the company’s shipping options, car transport rates, and customer reviews. We’ll also dive into AmeriFreight’s discounts and insurance offerings.
Our Ratingg: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Headquarters: Peachtree City, Georgia
Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating: A+
BBB Customer Score: 4.88 out of 5.0 stars
Service Area: United States, including Alaska and Hawaii
AmeriFreight is an auto shipping broker is now one one of the leading auto shippers in the nation.
The car transport broker only works with licensed carriers to provide shipping services nationwide. It routinely screens to make sure they have the proper insurance credentials in case of any errors made during transport.
Within the car shipping industry, AmeriFreight stands out for providing a wide range of discounts, which is why we gave it the award for “Best Deals” in our review of the leading car shipping companies. AmeriFreight offers discounts for active-duty military members, first responders, senior citizens, students, and returning customers.
AmeriFreight Pros and Cons
|AmeriFreight Pros||AmeriFreight Cons|
|Lots of discount opportunities||No international shipping option|
|Highly-rated customer service||No price lock options|
|Thorough car carrier vetting process||No GPS tracking available|
AmeriFreight Auto Transport Costs
Like other shipping companies, AmeriFreight costs will vary depending on your specific situation. However, the company says it typically charges between $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Enclosed transport can cost upward of 80%, according to the company.
AmeriFreight costs will also depend on the type of shipping you choose: Economy, Priority, or First Class. Economy shipping starts at the lowest bid and has the highest pickup window, while Priority is priced at the market rate to find more carriers who are willing to take your car. First Class is aggressively priced and includes a one- to two-day pickup window for delivery.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Cost Estimates
To give you an idea of what AmeriFreight rates look like, we’ve compiled some prices for a 2020 Toyota Corolla and a 2018 Honda CR-V in the table below.
|Vehicle||Mileage||Shipping Method||Cost Estimate|
|Honda CR-V||520 miles||Economy||$550|
|Honda CR-V||520 miles||Priority||$650|
|Honda CR-V||520 miles||First Class||$800|
|Toyota Corolla||1,280 miles||Economy||$1,055|
|Toyota Corolla||1,280 miles||Priority||$1,200|
|Toyota Corolla||1,280 miles||First Class||$1,475|
You can find a general estimate of what you can expect to pay for the shipping process by using AmeriFreight’s rate calculator or calling the company directly to get a free quote on shipping.
What Factors Affect Shipping Costs?
Car shipping rates are highly variable and can be influenced by each carrier. Here’s an overview of the factors that affect the cost of auto transport:
- Price of fuel: You will end up paying more for transport if fuel prices are up.
- Vehicle size: The larger your vehicle, the more you will typically pay for transport.
- Time of year: You will usually pay more for vehicle shipping in the summer and January.
- Delivery location: You will save money if your vehicle is shipped to a terminal rather than your door.
- Transport service: Enclosed shipping is more expensive than open shipping. However, it can be worth the additional cost for luxury and classic cars.
- Vehicle operability: Inoperable vehicles are more expensive to ship than operable vehicles because of the effort and resources required to move them.
- Miles traveled: You’ll pay more to ship from Los Angeles, California to Buffalo, New York than you will to transport from Jacksonville, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia. This is because long-distance shipments cost more than shorter-distance shipments.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Services
AmeriFreight provides transport services to and from the contiguous United States, in addition to Alaska and Hawaii. The car shipper works with carriers around the nation to transport cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, ATVs, and RVs.
Here’s an overview of the shipping services offered by AmeriFreight:
- Door-to-door delivery: A shipping method where the vehicle pick-up and drop-off locations are as close to your home as possible
- Expedited shipping: Comes with an extra free but ideal for drivers with time constraints since vehicles can usually ship within a few days
- Open trailer transport: The most common shipping service offered by transport brokers, where your vehicle is exposed to the elements
- Enclosed trailer transport: A pricier shipping service where your vehicle is transported in an enclosed trailer or shipping container to prevent damage
- Alternative vehicle transport: AmeriFreight can ship more than just cars. The company offers shipping options for vehicles like ATVs, motorcycles, RVs, and more.
Many people use AmeriFreight because of the various discounts the company offers, which make it stand out from among many of its competitors. Discounts include:
- Student: $25 off
- Early bird: $35 off
- Senior citizens: $25 off
- First responders: $35 off
- Medical personnel: $35 off
- Active-duty military: $35 off
- Return customers: $50 off
- Multiple vehicles: $50 off (every additional vehicle)
Aside from the early bird discount, you can’t apply multiple discounts to the same order.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Insurance
Every AmeriFreight shipment comes with basic carrier insurance. However, AmeriFreight also offers its own gap protection policy, called Allied Fidelity Total Assurance (AFta), for an additional cost.
Here’s what you get if you pay for the additional AFta gap coverage, which works in addition to your carrier’s insurance:
- Up to $2,000 of your private car insurance’s deductible
- Up to $800 for minor damages
- Up to $350 for lost, stolen, or damaged keys
- Rental car reimbursement in case of delivery delays
How to Ship a Car With AmeriFreight
Based on what we saw in our research, AmeriFreight’s shipping process is simple and straightforward. There are just a few steps to ship your vehicle with the broker:
- Get a quote: AmeriFreight doesn’t have a shipping cost calculator. Instead, you’ll need to provide some basic information about your shipment as well as your email address and phone number. Soon, an AmeriFreight representative will call or email you to give you a quote.
- Decide on service: After giving you a quote, your representative will assign you a carrier. That company or individual will contact you to quote you the final rate. You can either accept this or reject it.
- Wait: Once you book a carrier, it’s time to let AmeriFreight take care of the details. The broker will coordinate everything with your carrier.
- Meet for pickup: You’ll meet your carrier at the pickup location. Once there, you’ll do a quick inspection of your vehicle to note any existing damage. Then, you’ll sign a bill of lading that documents these damages.
- Meet for drop-off: On the other side of the shipment, you’ll need to meet your carrier at the destination. There, you’ll do another inspection of the car to see if it was damaged during shipment. Afterwards, you’ll sign the bill of lading again to recognize that the shipment is complete. Your carrier will drop your vehicle off at the destination, and you will inspect it and sign a bill of lading saying the job is complete.
- Pay the bill: After you’ve signed for the shipment, all that’s left is to settle up with your carrier. Some only accept cash, so be sure to check before meeting them.
It’s a good idea to book your auto shipment at least two weeks before you need to move. This gives you enough time to find the lowest rates and avoid the need to expedite your shipment.
AmeriFreight Reviews and Ratings
AmeriFreight boasts many positive customer reviews. The auto transporter is accredited by the BBB and, as mentioned, carries an A+ rating from the agency. With over 1,150 customer reviews, AmeriFreight averages a 4.9-star rating out of 5.0. In fact, 92.5% of reviewers rated AmeriFreight 5 out of 5-stars overall.
AmeriFreight reviews are similar on Google, where the company has a 4.7-star rating backed by over 3,000 reviews. Positive customer reviews across both platforms praise the overall shipping experience and excellent customer service representatives, while negative reviews mention issues with paying a much higher price than originally quoted.
Positive AmeriFreight Reviews
When customers reported a fulfilling experience in their AmeriFreight reviews, they tended to mention a smooth process and good communication. 14% of reviews positively mention the customer service, to be exact.
“Reliable company! I’ve used them twice to move vehicles across the country. Both times they have effortlessly made it happen. I highly recommend them.”
– Laura Iacofano via Google Reviews
“Good communication. Pickup and delivery went as planned without any problems. Driver was professional and very polite.”
– Michael S. via BBB
Negative AmeriFreight Reviews
In AmeriFreight reviews in which customers didn’t have such a good experience, they often mentioned pricing and service issues with individual carriers. However, it should be noted that only 4.5% of reviews rated the company 1 out of 5-stars.
“[I] got a quote to move a vehicle from Georgia to Indiana. [I] had several quotes all in the same price range, so I researched and found AmeriFreight to have good ratings, so I chose them. They came back with shippers 30-40% higher than they quoted and told me [to] take it [because] it was a good deal.”
– Troy M. via BBB
“Do not ever use this company. Total mess. My four-day car window turned into 11 days. AmeriFreight had no idea where my car was. [The] carrier had issues transporting [my vehicle] and would not respond without threats. I have shipped my car over nine times – worst experience I have ever had.”
– Elizabeth R. via Google Reviews
AmeriFreight Car Shipping: 4.5 Stars – Best Deals
AmeriFreight distinguishes itself from many other car shipping companies with its wide array of discounts, its add-on shipping insurance, and its mostly positive customer reviews. Ultimately, we gave it a 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and awarded it “Best Deals” among the providers we reviewed. AmeriFreight’s costs are also relatively affordable, and the company offers many shipping services from which customers can choose.
AmeriFreight can fall short when it comes to its quotes process, however. While the company offers a rate calculator at its website AmeriFreight.net, you still have to reach out to customer service for an actual cost estimate. Also, negative auto transport reviews from AmeriFreight users frequently note how pricing differs from the initial quote to the final price.
Our Ratingg: 4.5 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Other Top Recommendations for Car Shipping
Even though AmeriFreight is a highly reputable company, our team recommends reaching out to multiple companies to find the best service and car shipping quotes for your situation. Two other car transport companies worth considering are Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport, both of which we featured in our review of the best car shipping companies.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Overall
Montway Auto Transport is one of the most popular and well-respected auto transport companies in the industry. The company offers various shipping services for drivers nationwide and has a positive reputation. Our team gave Montway the Best Service award and a rating of 4.5 out of 5.0 based on reputation, prices, services, and customer service.
Like AmeriFreight, Montway is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating. With over 1,900 customer reviews on the BBB website, the company has a 4.5-star rating out of 5.0.
Learn more in our full Montway Auto Transport review.
Our Rating: 4.6 out of 5.0
One of the best car shipping companies.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Pricing
Unlike most auto transport companies, Sherpa Auto Transport offers locked-in pricing through its Price Lock Promise. This means the price you’re quoted by the company is the final price you’ll pay. If you end up paying more, the company will cover any costs up to $300. Sherpa also offers customers a Clean Car Guarantee, which grants you a reimbursement of up to $20 for a car wash after your vehicle is delivered.
Just like AmeriFreight, Sherpa Auto Transport earned a 4.0-star rating out of 5.0 from our team based on reputation, prices, services, and customer service. Sherpa is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating.
Find out more about the provider in our complete Sherpa Auto Transport review.
overflow-x: auto; since wordpress removes this from inline styling –>
Best for Locked-In Pricing
Our Rating: 4.5 out of 5.0
Stress-free auto shipping and transparent pricing.
Source: Automoblog Read More