Jeep isn’t the only car company to increase its prices in 2022, but the American brand has posted some of the biggest hikes in recent times.
“The price increases are reflective of the significant increase in material costs, coupled with ongoing supply chain issues, that continue to be experienced by manufacturers globally,” said a spokesperson for Jeep Australia.
The base price of the Compass range is up by $2000 for 2022, but it’s not a like-for-like comparison.
According to Glass’s Guide, the 2022 Compass range will open with a new Night Eagle base trim level, replacing the Launch Edition introduced as part of the car’s mid-life update last year and wearing a $2000 higher price tag.
Jeep says it’ll have information to reveal in the coming days about the new entry grade.
Like the Launch Edition, it’ll be the only front-wheel drive model in the local Compass range and will continue to use a 2.4-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine.
It’s priced at $39,950 before on-road costs, only narrowly keeping the Compass within the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ Small SUVs under $40,000 VFACTS segment.
The Compass had seen price increases of $1000-$1800 with its 2021 update, but they followed more substantial price hikes in 2020 of up to $6200, corresponding with an increase in standard safety equipment.
Local pricing and specifications have yet to be announced for the redesigned, two-row WL Grand Cherokee, although price increases are likely.
Jeep sales were up 35 per cent in 2021, if still a long way from their lofty heights in the 2010s when the Grand Cherokee was neck-and-neck with the Toyota LandCruiser Prado in sales.
In 2014 Jeep sold 30,408 vehicles, compared to 7762 last year.
With the WL redesign of the Grand Cherokee, it’s finally gaining a three-row version and will soon offer a plug-in hybrid, but it’s losing the popular turbo-diesel V6 and looks to be dropping the petrol V8, too.
- 2022 Jeep Compass Night Eagle: $39,950 (new)
- 2022 Jeep Compass Limited: $45,350 (+$1000)
- 2022 Jeep Compass S-Limited: $48,350 (+$1000)
- 2022 Jeep Compass Trailhawk diesel: $52,650 (+$1000)
- 2022 Jeep Cherokee Limited: $54,050 (+$3300)
- 2022 Jeep Cherokee S-Limited: $56,950 (+$3500)
- 2022 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk: $56,950 (+$3500)
- 2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Night Eagle: $69,750 (+$6800)
- 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-dr: $72,550 (+$6600)
- 2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Overland: $74,850 (+$6900)
- 2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: $78,450 (+$7000)
- 2022 Jeep Gladiator Night Eagle: $70,550 (+$2100)
- 2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon: $79,250 (+$2350)
CarExpert Read More